Recycled Bin not reallyTrashed

Discussion in 'Crypto Forum' started by Steve A, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Steve A

Steve A BoxInitiate

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Was surprised to find out from Michael that when you attempt to remove stored files from your Recycle Bin that in fact they stay on your hard drive until overwritten - youch !

My question is if I, after receiving say a word 'seed', then disconnect myself from the internet ie turn off WiFi and then copy it to a Wordfile and then print it and then hit 'Dont Save' beforing turning on my Internet again - is that 'not saved' file still hackable on my hard drive ???

2. Chaka

Chaka BoxMember
    Founder

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
    I think the seed may still touch the hard drive as Word maybe autosaving to a temp file. They say the only way to have 100% security is to handle private keys and seeds on a computer that has never touched the Internet. This is not practical for most people and you're in tin-foil hat area of paranoia at that security level.

Realistically, this is not a real attack vector. The hacker would need to be able to execute code at root level access. Hackers are getting easier wins from phishing attacks, just tricking people into handing over their seeds.

It is a real consideration if you ever want to sell on a hard drive. Buy some professional drive wiping software as simply formatting the drive doesn't even clear the data these days. Or if you finish with a drive, destroy it with a drill before throwing it away.

3. Steve A

Steve A BoxInitiate

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Cool - thanks for response - very helpful - cheers

Chaka likes this.
  4. Marrytompk

Marrytompk BoxMember

Mar 18, 2018
    Female
    Hi, I have seen Welltrado wants to be a leading investment company bigger than saltlending with a valuation of 168M usd. Should I invest?