Some questions about software wallets

Discussion in 'Support and Help' started by Hanley, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Hanley

Hanley BoxMember

Nov 21, 2017
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Hey all! I finally took most of my funds off of Binance and put them onto a software wallet called Jaxx.

My computer is a recently fresh install and I have only downloaded a few things from what seem to be trusted sources.

The question is, how safe is my crypto? Can someone hack into the wifi at my house and through my windows password? I had an acquaintance over and let him use the wifi..any concerns there should he be a thief?

I'm going to get a hardware wallet soon, anything else I should do to stay safe until then?

Thanks!

2. Karl B. Hensel

Karl B. Hensel BoxInitiate
    Founder

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    U.S.A
    There is currently a troubling hack regarding all devices utilizing Intel processors. Here is a link. Everyone should be aware of this serious issue. I have been aware of it for several months,. It is criminal that there is not more publicity regarding this.
    All iPhones, iPads and Mac computers are affected by microchip flaw that leaves devices vulnerable to hackers, Apple says | http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/01/05/iphones-ipads-mac-computers-affected-microchip-flaw-leaves-devices/

Hanley likes this.
  3. LouiePro

LouiePro Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Founder CoinMaster

Nov 22, 2017
    Male
    Blockchain
    Norway
    Wow, there you go. I had no idea that meltdown/spectre affected iOS devices too. Seems like all the attention has been towards Windows specifically.

4. Eric

Eric Moderator

Nov 10, 2017
    I wuold not store large amount in Jaxx there sequrity seem questionble in the past atleast . Wallet is made for ease of use and like a wallet not a vault.
    Dont think enyone would target you specficly as in hacking your wifi/pc if your not bragging about it.

You could air gap it to some flash drives until you get a HW wallet.

Karl B. Hensel, Hanley and Ethan like this.
  5. Hanley

Hanley BoxMember

Nov 21, 2017
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Airgap to a flashdrive, hmm. Ok thanks for the feedback

6. Karl B. Hensel

Karl B. Hensel BoxInitiate
    Founder

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    U.S.A
    Airgap, flashdrive. Well I know what a flashdrive is! Yes there are more people like me than you can even begin to imagine. Dinosaurs trying to play catch up with technology. It is not easy! LOL

7. Eric

Eric Moderator

Nov 10, 2017
    Air gap aka disconnecting the storage media/pc from external internet. Removes some of the exposure time.
    So you only expose/connect your wallet when using it.
    Not optimal this way as you don't want your private key to ever touch a pc with internet access but reduces the risk a bit at least.