Top Security Tips!

Discussion in 'Support and Help' started by boxmining, Nov 18, 2017.

1. boxmining

boxmining Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator CoinMaster

Nov 6, 2017
    Share your top tips to keep your crypto secure!

Zacbedro likes this.
  2. boxmining

boxmining Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator CoinMaster

Nov 6, 2017
    If you're holding crypto:
    1. GET A HARDWARE WALLET (Ledger, Trezor) - I can't stress this enough. I lost countless BTC because I didn't have one.
    Account Security
    • 2FA using Google authentication on Google / Exchanges
    • Don't use public wifi
    • Use good passwords
    • If a password is compromised by a hack (eg sony playstation breach), that password is also compromised - don't use it again!

Zacbedro and Immortallegend4 like this.
  3. Negancoin

Negancoin BoxInitiate
    Founder

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
    blockchain
    2AF is a great tool, but it's bother me that every time I have to enter new code, I hate complexity.

Immortallegend4 likes this.
  4. Ethan

Ethan Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Founder CoinMaster

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
    But well worth it! Some sites allow you to recognize your device for 30 days or so (Coinbas does this), but that could be a very very bad idea of your computer gets stolen and you use a coffee shop's wifi:(

I recommend Authy , as it has a simple UI

5. Konquest

Konquest BoxMember

Nov 18, 2017
    Male
    CEO & Founder
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use WinAuth for 2AF it works well also.

6. Elysium

Elysium Moderator
    Moderator Founder CoinMaster

Nov 11, 2017
    Male
    Hardware wallet is by all means the safest option for storing your currency. (I use Ledger Nano S, and it is awesome!)
    Never use public WiFi, especially when dealing with your crypto currency. The lap top that I usually travel with, has never ever been used for any logins concerning my crypto portfolio, and I will keep it that way for ever. Also be careful with using your phone as a hub for entering sensitive information, as your phone is most likely connected to various insecure connections.

I also suggest using a different password for any logins, for example between the wallet, trading platform, email login etc. If you get key logged this will not help you much, but different passwords along with at least a two step verification, will make it almost impossible to get access to all your information. (I use specific email addresses for specific sites, and every address has two step verification)
    If you want to be even safer, or have experienced attempts of hacking in the past, routinely format your hard drives. Also stay protected by trusted malware protection services. (Personally using Norton for anti virus and malware protection)

-Elysium

Cryptolord likes this.
  7. ZaPpaul

ZaPpaul Moderator
    Moderator Founder

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
    I have used hotmail to store a lot of my personal details and documents. for a long time.
    Basically it started with a passworded zip file that held scans of my passport, driving licence and birth certificate. I zipped them up and mailed them to myself back in 2006, that mail is still on the hotmail servers.
    Since then my latest, holds the keys for all my wallets, including all my banking passwords and site logins and also all of the above.

The zip file is now a rar file and the password is about as secure as it gets, so it's never realistically going to be cracked in my lifetime.

The beauty of this system I use is that I could find myself pretty much anywhere in the world, with no possessions and within a short space of time have access to my life again.

I'm not even sure there's a flaw to doing this, but it's what I've done for years and I've managed to recover some important things after a HDD crash, so it is worth me making the rar file every time I need to update it also hotmail is hardly likely to go down overnight and if it did, I have backups of this rar file on a usb stick and on my HDD.

8. acek

acek BoxInitiate

Nov 22, 2017
    Den likes this.
  9. Tarantulo

Tarantulo BoxInitiate

Dec 8, 2017
    Male
    Authy

Instead of using purely 2FA using Google authenticator I would advise going for Authy. It works everywhere where GA works.

The main issue for Google authenticator is that it does not have any backups. And in case you want to migrate to another phone (or you lose one) you will have to move ALL of them one by one. Or if you lose your phone you will have a headache for a week :)

More details and benefits here: https://authy.com/blog/authy-vs-google-authenticator/

Public Wifi

Just to be safe I always use VPN services like Speedify for the phone. Even on trusted WiFi you can get into trouble if someone would be spoofing data.

10. cryptomined

cryptomined Administrator
    Moderator Founder CoinMaster

Nov 10, 2017
    Male
  11. Den

Den BoxInitiate

Dec 8, 2017
    Male
    VPN when you are not home! Everyone should be, gym, hotel, Starbucks! VPN!

12. Knowledge Seeker

Knowledge Seeker BoxSuperMember
    Founder

Nov 10, 2017
    use multiple wallets and Distribute funds so if one gets compromised you wont loss full.

13. Rigel11000

Rigel11000 BoxInitiate

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    A guy I know was using WIFI from a coffee bar he visits often. Once he was showing to a friend how he trades on Bittrex . He had $12k invested at that moment. Few weeks later he got spoofed. Really stupid way to lose your money.

14. CryptoW123

CryptoW123 BoxInitiate

Dec 10, 2017
    This is probably the best advice

15. SimplyEverything

SimplyEverything BoxInitiate

Mar 12, 2018
    Male
    Student / Cryptocurrency Investor
    Singapore
    How to stay safe in the crypto space.
    Bitcoin is safe and untraceable?
    Nope every address which sends out BTC is using your IP Address to send the data to the network therefore it's able to know who is behind the address, so first tip - VPN

Second - hardware wallet of course, if it's too expensive and you barely made money from crypto.
    For Ethereum - create MEW wallet > import into Metamask write everything down on a piece of paper. Save your keystone created from MEW in a thumb drive.

For Bitcoin - Exodus? Write passphrase down on paper. Store it safely.

Always check the first 4 and last 4 value of the address before sending any crypto out. Your computer may be infected and addresses may be masked by programs.
    Anti virus you may say but it's useless... It may / may not detect the latest hack. Just don't visit rubvisr website / download content from a unreliable source.

For exchanges / websites
    Check for HTTPS and correct URL before entering credentials

For Emails
    Fake Binance/ other crypto website / exchange may send you a phishing email telling you that your account has requested to withdraw/ change of password.
    NEVER click on any link / download any attachments, always check the sender email. If you know you didn't do that, manually enter the URL of the website and enter your credentials to check if it is real.

Whatever is stored on the internet can be hacked it's just a matter of time and luck.
    Get one hardware and be safe.
    BUT
    Always be viligant, never use a hardware which is used. Second hands one are cheap, but your assets isn't.
    Never deal without escrow.
    Never trust anyone, or listen, always decide yourself and not regret.
    Don't do lending platforms.